Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Spooky Reading

Oh, this is going to be fun!

Just in time for Halloween, I snagged a copy of Bryan Senn's A Year of Fear, a guide that suggests a scary movie for each day of the year. Today's choice just happens to be one of my favorite 50s creature features, the underrated The Monster of Piedras Blancas (1958). Each day's movie has an appropriate tie-in to the calendar, plus the author's commentary.

I should clarify that this is not one of my usual book reviews. I've only begun delving into Senn's book, and it may be months before I finish. Instead of reading it cover-to-cover, I will likely cart it around to waiting rooms, and anywhere else I find myself with some time to pass. Today it went along to my polling place. But I've read several of the author's books, and appreciated his knack for writing both knowledgeably and entertainingly about this genre.

I would say more, but right now I'm anxious to get back to the book. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment